Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Gardening: My garden is moving! New garden plans.

Hello again everyone. 
How are you?
I can honestly say I've been better! We had a glorious day here in Ohio yesterday! The temps were in the 70s, it was sunny, and I spent most of the day outside doing some yard work and garden planning. Today is a different story. I woke up to rain and dropping temps. We are supposed to get snow this afternoon! How crazy is that?!? 

I'm not feeling too well today. I woke up with a sore throat and a stuffy nose. As the day goes on this crazy cold keeps progressing. Now I have added a cough and loads of nose burning sneezes to the mix. You know, I really can't complain much because I have had fairly good health all winter long! 

Okay, enough of my ramblings, this post is going to be about my garden.

I know I have stated before that my poor garden beds were looking worse for wear because they were made out of wood and the termites and weather had finally got to them. I did get a good 4-5 years from those beds so I cannot complain too much. So at the end of the gardening season last year we tore up all the wood and just left the dirt mounds. Yesterday I smoothed out those dirt mounds because my plans were to build 3 new garden beds out of concrete block and to fill them with the true Mel's Mix from the All New Square Foot Garden book. 

Well, yesterday as I was smoothing out the dirt down the sunny side of my home I got to thinking. I am going to be spending $500 or more on garden supplies to rebuild my garden beds. Well, the area my beds sit in is also the area that my water line connects the city supply to my house. If we happen to have a water line problem, I would have to tear at least two of my garden beds apart just so they could dig up the line. I would be devastated if those types of repairs had to happen at the peak of growing season! I would probably cry my eyes out!!!

So, I have decided to move my garden beds to my back yard. I have a pretty small back yard. So I was worried about taking up the entire yard in garden beds. I still wanted to have room to entertain in my back yard. So I took some stakes and some yarn and measured and measured and measured and then did some mapping out and I came up with a pretty good plan that leaves a little bit of space in my back yard. 

Now, I don't have any pictures because there isn't anything to show so I will tell you about it.

I have a chain link fence around my yard. If you face my back yard I have an alley side on the left, straight ahead is the end of my back yard and to the right is my gazebo and a path that leads to the spot where my garden beds used to be.  My plan is to have two 8 foot by 4 foot beds with a two foot space between them about 3 feet from my back fence (3 feet so I can get behind my beds). Then I will have a 3 foot by 8 foot bed on the alley fence, right up on the fence which will be mainly an herb bed. I am really excited about being able to see my garden from my back deck and my gazebo. It will also be safer from people coming in my yard and picking my veggies.

I think the only problem I may have is the amount of sunlight I get in the back yard. During the height of summer I know I will get enough sunlight for my produce but it isn't like the previous spot that got sunlight nearly all day. But we will see.

I plan on getting most of the materials in a couple weeks and I promise I will take tons of pictures of the process to show you all! I may even take some pictures of the spots and let you see exactly what I'm talking about. 

Well that is all for now. My meds are kicking in and I'm feeling a little bit better so I think I will eat a snack or some lunch and get some more of my to-dos for the week checked off my list.

Until we meet again,
Be Blessed,
Erin

No comments:

Post a Comment